Vanderbilt University Gmail - FAQ
Click the above button to go to the VU Gmail log in page.
- I receive the following error when I try to login, "We are unable to process your request at this time, please try again later."
- How do I login to VU Gmail?
- How do I create my external VU Gmail password?
- Why is Vanderbilt offering VU Gmail to undergraduate students?
- Can I change my preferred email address after I migrate to VU Gmail?
- Does Vanderbilt provide support for VU Gmail?
- Should I back up my VU Gmail?
- What if there is a service disruption to my VU Gmail account? Can Vanderbilt VUIT help correct the problem?
- In addition to my VUnetID and ePassword, will I need an additional Gmail log in and password to access my VU Gmail account?
- Why isn’t Vanderbilt Gmail available to faculty, staff, and graduate students?
- I’m a new student what are my options?
- How can I add a new Vanderbilt email identity (alias) to my Gmail account?
- What if I already have a Gmail account?
- If I already have a Gmail account can I migrate it into my VU Gmail Account?
- Can I access my VU Gmail with an external email client such as Outlook, Thunderbird, MacMail, Blackberry or iPhone?
- Will I see Gmail related ads?
- What is the maximum size for a Gmail attachment?
- If I am a work-study student for a Vanderbilt department, can I still use VU Gmail?
- What happens when I graduate?
- How do I access Vmail Shared Folder?
- If I have my email delivery changed to Vmail for a student employment purpose, what happens to my VU Gmail account?
- What versions of which web browsers can I use to access VU Gmail?
- I've set my external password and still can't get my VU Gmail to work on my iPhone. What should I do?
I receive the following error when I try to login, "We are unable to process your request at this time, please try again later."
To fix this error please delete your cookies. To delete your cookies, just follow the browser-specific steps below. (Please note that while deleting your cookies may resolve the problem, it will also remove your saved settings for sites you've previously visited.)
Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
- Open IE and click on the "Tools" menu.
- Select "Internet Options."
- Click on the "General" tab if it isn't selected already.
- Under the heading "Temporary Internet files," click on "Delete Cookies..."
- Click "OK" for the "Delete all cookies in the Temporary Internet Files folder?" prompt.
- Click "OK" to exit.
- Open Firefox and click on the "Tools" menu.
- Select "Options."
- Click on the "Privacy" icon on the left.
- Select "Cookies" and click on "View Cookies"
- Select google.com from the list and press "remove cookie."
- Click "OK" to exit.
If clearing your cookies does not fix the login issue please contact the VUIT Help Desk at (615) 343-9999.
How do I login to VU Gmail?
To login to VU Gmail click here.
How do I create my external VU Gmail password?
Click on the following link to setup your External Client Password.
Why is Vanderbilt offering VU Gmail to undergraduate students?
In partnering with Google, we are providing our undergrads with a widely used full featured email service at no cost to the University. In doing so our students will benefit from Google’s cutting edge research and development.
Can I change my preferred email address after I migrate to VU Gmail?
Yes, you can. For information see the Modify Personal Options page.
Should I back up my VU Gmail?
Absolutely. Backing up VU Gmail is your responsibility. If any of your Gmail is lost for whatever reason, VUIT cannot restore it. Refer to the Gmail Help Center for more information.
What if there is a service disruption to my VU Gmail account? Can VUIT help correct the problem?
No. Aside from a problem connecting to Google Gmail, your Gmail account is completely administered by Google.
Why isn’t Vanderbilt Gmail available to faculty, staff, and graduate students?
Our immediate focus is to provide access to Gmail accounts for our undergraduates. The scope of the service offering may be reassessed as appropriate in the future.
I’m a new student what are my options?
You will be provided with a VU Gmail account. You may choose to forward your VU Gmail to the provider of your choosing. Refer to the Modify Personal Options page for instructions.
How can I add a new Vanderbilt email identity (alias) to my Gmail account?
For information on adding email aliases, refer to Gmail’s instructions for changing your From address.
What if I already have a Gmail account?
If you already have a Gmail account and create a Vanderbilt Gmail account, your original account will be superseded. That is you will only be able to send/receive mail from your VU Gmail account.
If I already have a Gmail account can I migrate it into my VU Gmail account?
You should be able to migrate your existing Gmail into your VU Gmail account. Check the Gmail Help Centerfor details
Can I access my VU Gmail with an external email client such as Outlook, Thunderbird, MacMail, Blackberry, or iPhone?
Yes, but you must set up an External Client Password in VU Gmail. See a video of how to setup your VU Gmail password; you cannot set up this password through the Gmail Help Center. Please visit the Gmail Help Center for additional instructions on accessing Gmail through an external client.
** Please note that the user name for an email client will be your full Vanderbilt email address (firstname.lastname@example.org for example). After setting the password, please allow up to 15 minutes before configuring an email client.
What is the maximum size for a Gmail attachment?
If sending email to other Vanderbilt email addresses, the limit is approximately 15MB. Gmail limits the attachment size to 20MB, but the recipient's email system may not allow attachments of this size.
If I am a work-study student for a Vanderbilt department, can I still use VU Gmail?
This will depend on the nature of the work flow and sensitivity of the data of your employing department. In some instances, students are required to be on email that works best with that department. Gmail is stored on servers off-campus, your department may require you to use Vmail for email.
How do I access Vmail Shared Folder?
Student Groups and other organizations often have a shared mailbox. For access to shared mailboxes on the Vmail system visit Accessing Shared Mailboxes with OWA.
If I have my email delivery changed to Vmail for a student employment purpose, what happens to my VU Gmail account?
If you have your email delivery changed to a Vmail (Exchange) account, then your VU Gmail account will remain active during that time. You will be able to log into this account using your VUnetID and ePassword, access all the VU Gmail features, and even continue to send email from the account. However, all email that is sent to your Vanderbilt email address will be sent to your Vmail account. Once you are no longer employed by Vanderbilt University, you will need to request that your previous employing department approves having your email delivered back to your VU Gmail account.
Students also have access to the services offered by Vanderbilt Alumni Relations. Vanderbilt Alumni Relations offers free online services - an online directory, email forwarding, class notes, Commodore Career Connection and discussion groups - as part of their ongoing effort to connect alumni back to the University, and to fellow Commodores. Click here for additional details.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7
- Mozilla Firefox 3.5
- Apple Safari 3
Beginning August 1, 2011, Google Apps will support the current and previous major releases of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari on a rolling basis. Each time a new version is released, support will begin for the new version and will end for the third-oldest version.
For more information, please visit Google's blog post and help center article.
I've set my external password and still can't get my VU Gmail to work on my iPhone. What should I do?
If you have set your external password already and still can not get your VU Gmail on your iPhone, you may need to unlock you Google account. This can be done by clicking on the following link:https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha . You will need to login using your external ID (email@example.com) and external password.
Last Modified: 2014-05-19