Attention: The Vshare file-sharing service will be retired on Monday, April 27, 2015, at which time no new uploads will be possible.
On Monday, May 4, the system will be shut down and all files previously uploaded will have aged out of the system. No downloads will be possible.
For your future file-sharing needs, please choose either Box for Vanderbilt or Accellion, two other file-sharing services provided by VUIT. In general, Box for Vanderbilt is recommended for data that are not highly sensitive or regulated, while Accellion is intended for data that require elevated security. Read the information pages for both services to learn more about features and details.
Box for Vanderbilt
Vshare is a web-enabled temporary file distribution site. The service is designed to be used as temporary storage for files too large for email attachments. This service is not intended as a permanent software repository or download site.
IMPORTANT: Please read the security and privacy notice on how to appropriately use Vshare .
Who can use Vshare?
- Anyone with a valid VUnetID can upload to the service.
Is there a size limit to Vshare?
- The maximum size for a single file is 1024MB.
- Please note basic password protection can be placed on the file download. It must be done at the time of upload. Access protections or descriptions cannot be changed once the upload is completed. To upload files:
- Login with VUnetID and Password
- Browse to the file that you want to upload
- After the file is selected, an Upload link will appear. Click this link. For large files, there is a waiting period for the next steps
- On the next form, enter at minimum the description of the file and click Complete Upload.
- Please note, anyone can download a file if they know the URL. The URL to the file after upload is a randomly generated. To delete or send links to existing files
- Login with VUnetID and password
- click the My Files link
- Click the randomly generated ID associated with the file
- To email, fillout the form and click Send.
- To delete, click the Remove link at the bottom of the page.
How long do files remain in Vshare?
- Files will remain on the server for one week. They are automatically deleted from the server on the 7th day.
Who do I contact for support with Vshare issues?
Contact the IT Help Desk at (615) 343-9999 during business hours. After business hours contact the Network Operations Center at (615) 322-2954.
IMPORTANT SECURITY NOTICE: This service should not be used to transmit, store or process sensitive or privacy protected information including patient information, social security numbers, student personal data, or any other information that might be considered a violation of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), Payment Card Industry (PCI) data or Vanderbilt policy.
Transmission, storage or processing of information, software or technical data controlled by the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) is strictly prohibited. Any violation of export control law or regulation is subject to severe civil and/or criminal penalties and is contrary to Vanderbilt University Policy on Compliance with Export Control Law and Regulation.
Any posting of data that can be classified by the above standards will be considered a violation of Regulatory law and Vanderbilt policy and users will be held accountable.
Last Modified: 2015-04-15