Secure Relay for Servers (SRFS)
SRFS is the preferred Vanderbilt IT service for outbound SMTP relay from systems/devices. Only qualified systems that are registered with the SRFS service are allowed to use the service.
How to get it:
1. Obtain a static IP address for the system, from private address space if possible (10.x.x.x)
- a) University Central - Static IP Request Form
- b) VUMC – Contact VUMC help desk (343-4357) or submit Pegasus request to Network Operations.
2. Submit an SRFS request:
Note: Prior to submitting an SRFS request, please ensure that the device is ready for deployment, with all intended applications installed and configured. If a request is submitted and the device determined not to be deployment-ready, the request will be closed and new one will be required later when the device is ready.
3. Pass an initial security scan and accept recurring scans
- a) Enterprise Network Security (ENS) Analyst will provide you with scan results identifying any vulnerabilities requiring remediation.
- b) When your system has passed the security scan, VUIT Electronic Collaboration Services (ECS) will authorize the system and notify you.
- c) All systems using SRFS are given a monthly scan on an ongoing basis.
4. Configure your system for SRFS
a) Configure a valid sending address for SRFS (email@example.com is recommended)
b) Point to SRFS.vanderbilt.edu
i. Specify TCP poprt 25 as the default port SMTP
ii. SSL/TLS is supported but not required
1. Multipurpose printer/copier/scanners:
- Multipurpose machines that send unauthenticated email must use the SRFS system and be registered with SRFS in the same way a server would be. If the multipurpose machine does not require a unique, identifying email address, we recommend that you configure the "From" address as firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Sending email address requirements for SRFS:
a) Use a valid email address
- The host's sending email address must be a valid email address on the @vanderbilt.edu domain or on a Vanderbilt vanity domain.
- If you expect replies from the messages sent via SRFS, the sending email address must be a valid address, such as ValidBCA@vanderbilt.edu.
If replies are prohibited, please use one of the sending addresses below:
- i. email@example.com
- ii. firstname.lastname@example.org
- a) Use a valid email address