Microsoft Exchange Online Advanced Threat Protection (ATP)
Microsoft Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) is an email filtering service to help mitigate malware and virus infiltration within an organization and blocks threats when detected. This service acts as an additional layer of protection; however, it is still crucial that users exercise caution whenever clicking on links or opening attachments in email. ATP protects all email received by any account in the Exchange Online environment. ATP also protects email from external sources and email from Exchange Online users that is received by a VU Gmail account. ATP does not protect email that was both sent and received by a VU Gmail account.
ATP Safe Attachments and Safe Links are components of Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection (ATP). ATP Safe Attachments protects against unknown malware and viruses by scanning and quarantining attachments identified as malicious. ATP Safe Links proactively protects users from embedded malicious URLs by dynamically blocking links identified as malicious.
ATP protections are also extended to files and links in Microsoft Teams, files in SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business, and links in files opened with Office 365 apps.
Service Charges or Fees
There are no fees for this service.
This service is automatically provisioned for University users using VMail - Faculty/Staff Email.
Documentation and Service Information
- Protects users from malicious URLs in emails.
- Checks a Microsoft reputation database upon every click of a link.
- Redirects malicious links to a warning screen and prevents access.
- Mitigates phishing campaigns while allowing users to access known good links.
- With ATP, users are redirected to a warning page if the database determines a link to be malicious. The following screenshots illustrate 1) how a link filtered through ATP will appear and 2) the warning page users will see if the database determines a link to be malicious. If a user sees the warning page after clicking on a link that is not malicious, call the VUIT Help Desk at (615) 343-9999.
- Protects against malware, viruses, and zero-day exploits (e.g., WannaCry ransomware).
- Interrogates every email attachment and removes known malicious attachments and attachments exhibiting malicious behavior.
- Protects against a good attachment getting removed by routing the original email with the attachment to an IT-managed quarantined mailbox.
- If a user is sent an email that contains a malicious attachment, ATP will deliver the email with a message noting that the malicious attachment has been removed.
Communication and Collaboration