Vanderbilt University departments can request having a rack-mountable servers placed in the VUIT Data Center. This service provides for hands-on hardware support with data center equipment only.
Co-location is especially appropriate for high-reliability mission-critical servers, large computational systems, or dedicated systems with special needs that cannot be accommodated by a virtual server .
Departmental server collocation in the VUIT Data Center includes:
- Electrical power from dual utility feeds with dedicated generator backup
- Enterprise UPS
- Redundant cooling
- Fire protection
- Gigabit network connectivity and bandwidth
- Firewall protection
- Basic monitoring of servers
- 24 hour access for customer-approved server administrators
- Protected physical access
- Video surveillance monitoring
Requirements for co-location:
- Contact information for server administrators and departmental business manager must be kept current at all times.
- Server information (OS, patch level, etc.) must be kept current at all times.
- Server must meet rack mount specifications and must use rails. No shelves are permitted.
- Security vulnerabilities will be assessed by the VUIT Security team before installation and throughout tenancy. Identified vulnerabilities must be mitigated before the server can be joined to or returned to the production network.
- Co-located servers are sequestered together in a specific VLAN on the Vanderbilt network to provide additional security for all VUIT customers.
- All racking and unracking is performed by NOC analysts.
- VUIT reserves the right to specify rack location.
- VUIT does not guarantee that future expansions will be adjacent to existing equipment. Space in the Data Center cannot be reserved.
- Management ports will be connected to a private network.
The customer is responsible for data removal/sanitizing of device and proper disposal at the time of decommission.
Service Charges or Fees
The charges and fees depend on several factors. Please contact us for a consultation.
To request service or learn more about the VUIT Co-location Service, contact your Customer Relationship Manager.
What You Can Request