Outlook 2013 - Sort Instructions
Searching Outlook 2013
- Click on the folder that you would like to search in; the choices are found underneath your email address:
- Next, locate the search box. The Search box is always at the top of your mailbox over your messages.
- Type any part of the message in the search box, e.g., sender, recipient, subject, etc. and hit enter to search.
- The results of the search will appear underneath the search box.
- To return to a view of all the items in a folder, click the X next to the main search box.
- If you do not know what folder the message is in, use the drop-down menu in the search box to select between "This Folder", "This Folder and Subfolders", or "Entire Mailbox".
Sorting in Outlook 2013
By default, messages in your Inbox, and in other folders, are arranged by date, with the newest message at the top. Outlook 2013 provides many other ways to arrange messages, which can help you to find a particular message or group of messages when you want to. To change the arrangement of messages, use the options that you can see under the search box [Arrange by Date] and [Newest on top].
To re-sort messages, click on the label [Arrange by:] at the top of the message list. You can then select a sort option from the list below:
|Date||Sort messages by the date (and time) when they were received|
|From||Sort messages alphabetically by sender|
|To||Sort messages alphabetically by recipient - most useful for sorting your Sent Items|
|Size||Sort messages by their size including any attachments|
|Subject||Sort messages alphabetically by subject line. (Where the subject line begins with "Re:" or "Fwd:" this is ignored for sorting.)|
|Type||Sort messages into types – separates non-email items such as meeting requests|
|Attachments||Sorts messages depending on whether they have an attachment|
|Importance||Sorts messages by importance - low, normal and high. The importance is set by the sender.|
|Flag Due Date||Sorts messages according to the "Due date" assigned to them|
|Flag Start Date||Sorts messages according to the "Start date" assigned to them|
|Conversation||Group messages by thread - messages and replies appear together. Conversation mode has to be selected by Ticking the box.|
Each of these sorting options has a default order, such as A on top, newest on top, or largest on top.
The sort order is shown next to the name of the sorting scheme, and you can reverse the order by clicking on the label.
The resulting sorted emails will be shown underneath the search box.
Conversation Mode Outlook 2013
In Microsoft Outlook 2013, Conversation View groups email messages into conversations based on the subject of the message. When a thread is updated with a new email messages the entire thread is placed in chronological order based on the date and time of the newest message.
NOTE: Conversation view is enabled by default for every mail folder in your mailbox.
Enabling Conversation View
- Click on the "View" tab of the ribbon at the top of the window:
- Click on the box to the left of "Show as Conversations" so that it is checked.
- Select whether you want to show all folders as Conversations or just the current folder being viewed:
- Your email messages should now been shown as Conversations.
- Click the right arrow adjacent to the Subject Heading in the Message View
- The list of messages that are part of the same email conversation will appear in chronological order below the message
- Click the arrow again to collapse the message view. Messages will now collapse and appear hidden with just the Subject
*Warning: If you delete the Subject Heading of the message, all messages related to that Subject Heading will be subsequently deleted.