OWA Searching and Sorting
In Outlook Web App (OWA), conversation view groups email messages into conversations based on the subject of the message. When a thread is updated with a new email messages the entire thread is placed in chronological order based on the date and time of the newest message.
NOTE: Conversation view is enabled by default for every mail folder in your mailbox.
Enabling Conversation View
- To enable the conversation view, click the dropdown arrow of the View command from the Message Menu Bar. A dropdown menu will appear.
- Under the Group by Conversations component, check the Use Conversations option.
- The message list in the View Pane will display messages in a Conversation view.
- Click the right arrow adjacent to the Subject Heading in the Message View
- The list of messages that are part of the same email conversation will appear in chronological order below the message
- Click the arrow again to collapse the message view. Messages will now collapse and appear hidden with just the Subject
*Warning: If you delete the Subject Heading of the message, all messages related to that Subject Heading will be subsequently deleted.
Searching Outlook Web App (OWA)
- The Search box is always at the top of your mailbox over your messages. By default, it is set to search your entire mailbox.
- You can search in a particular folder by clicking on it.
- Click on the dropdown in the Search Folder and specify "This Folder".
- Type any part of the message in the search box, e.g., sender, recipient, subject, etc. and hit enter to search.
- To return to a view of all the items in a folder, click the X next to the main search box.
- If you do not know what folder the message is in, use the drop-down menu in the search box to select between "This Folder", "This Folder and Subfolders", or "Entire Mailbox".
- Click on the double arrows for a more detailed search that lets you choose different criteria.
Sorting messages in Outlook Web App (OWA)
By default, messages in your Inbox, and in other folders, are arranged by date, with the newest message at the top. OWA provides many other ways to arrange messages, which can help you to find a particular message or group of messages when you want to. To change the arrangement of messages, use the options that you can see under the search box [Arrange by Date] and [Newest on top].
Figure 15. Arrange messages options
To re-sort messages, click on the label [Arrange by:] at the top of the message list. You can then select a sort option from the list below:
|Date||Sort messages by the date (and time) when they were received|
|From||Sort messages alphabetically by sender|
|To||Sort messages alphabetically by recipient - most useful for sorting your Sent Items|
|Size||Sort messages by their size including any attachments|
|Subject||Sort messages alphabetically by subject line. (Where the subject line begins with "Re:" or
"Fwd:" this is ignored for sorting.)
|Type||Sort messages into types - separates non-email items such as meeting requests|
|Attachments||Sorts messages depending on whether they have an attachment|
|Importance||Sorts messages by importance - low, normal and high. The importance is set by the sender.|
|Flag Due Date||Sorts messages according to the "Due date" assigned to them|
|Flag Start Date||Sorts messages according to the "Start date" assigned to them|
|Conversation||Group messages by thread - messages and replies appear together. Conversation mode has
to be selected by Ticking the box.
Each of these sorting options has a default order, such as A on top, newest on top, or largest on top.
Figure 16. Reverse the order of your messages
The sort order is shown next to the name of the sorting scheme, and you can reverse the order by clicking on the label.