This information is for Faculty and Staff only. Student Voice Mail info is here.
"Voice Mail" is an umbrella covering a variety of automated voice processing features including voice mailboxes for storing and forwarding messages, voice menus for routing and responding to calls, recorded announcements for selectively disseminating information, and information access to databases.
TYPES OF MAILBOXES AVAILABLE:
- Basic Voice Mailbox: This allows messages to be sent and received when you are on your phone or out of the office. With voice mail you can communicate more efficiently and effectively. Voice mail lets you be accessible and provides you access to the information and people with whom you need to speak around the clock. Additionally, more than one caller at a time can leave messages in a voice mailbox. Voice mailboxes are password protected. D-Term telephones have a visual display when new messages have been received. Single line telephone users hear a broken dial tone when they have new messages.
- Call Routing Mailboxes: Voice menus offer a way to efficiently manage the multitude of calls coming into a central answering point in your office. Instead of using your personnel resources to answer routine calls, you can give your callers call-routing options. For instance, the caller can listen to a pre-recorded announcement or route themselves to an extension or mailbox.
- Information Mailboxes: The announcement only feature plays a recorded message of up to 5 minutes in length. It can be changed as frequently as the user desires: hourly, daily, monthly, etc. It can also be activated/deactivated at the user's discretion through use of the call-forwarding feature.
- Transfer Mailboxes: Automatically transfers the calls of a "non-subscriber" to a predetermined mailbox. If someone wants to share a mailbox with you, they must have a transfer mailbox installed on their extension.
SIGNING UP FOR VOICE MAIL:
- A department representative can now order these services with the VUIT online catalog in eProcurement at: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/procurement/eprocurement/index.shtml
VOICE MAIL TRAINING:
Request voice mail training by calling (615) 343-9999. For more information, see our TRAINING page.
Last Modified: 2016-08-17