Shared Exchange Mailboxes (SEM)
What is a SEM?
A SEM is mailbox which allows multiple users to access it. Each SEM has a unique email address for sending and receiving and can be created by your local IT Support Staff .
Service Charges or Fees
There are no fees for this service.
Access to a SEM is managed by Active Directory (AD) security groups. This allows support personnel to manage access to the SEM without needing direct access to the mailbox. If you are unsure of who manages the SEM you are needing to access, or to change the support person for an SEM please contact the VUIT
What You Can Request
Designate a support represtative
Documentation and Service Links
Accessing a SEM with OWA
- Know the email address of the mailbox you wish to access. If it’s a personal email address, use the People Finder .
- Open a web browser such as Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox and put the following in the location bar: https://email.vanderbilt.edu/owa/ email address.
- Log into Vmail using your VUnetID and password when prompted.
Accessing a SEM with Outlook 2016 on a PC
- In Outlook, go to File > Add Account
- Enter the name and email address of the SEM, your own password, and select Next.
- If prompted, restart Outlook. If prompted for credentials, enter your own VUnetID and password.
- The SEM will appear in a collapsible folder separate from your own mail account in Outlook.
Accessing a SEM with Outlook 2016 on a MAC
- In Outlook, go to Tools > Accounts.
- Click the + icon in the bottom left corner and choose Exchange.
Enter the information below into the fields on your Outlook client:
- Email address: SEM address.
- Authentication Method: Select User Name and Password.
- User Name: VUnetID .
- Passwrd : Your ePassword .
Sending Email as an SEM
To send a message from the SEM, compose anew email and chose the “FROM:” dropdown in the new email.
Email and Calendaring
Communication and Collaboration