Wireless Access for VU Staff, Faculty, and Students
Available Wireless Networks
- vuNet is the network VU faculty, staff, and students should use for their desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones (see below for gaming consoles). It requires a VUnetID and ePassword for access and is the most secure. Since the network is broadcast, your devices will automatically see it when in range and will automatically connect once initially configured. For best results, use the wireless onboarding system found at
to connect to this network.
- vuDevices is designed to support devices that do NOT login with their VUnetID. Faculty, staff, and students should use vuDevices for their gaming systems, smart devices, AppleTVs, or Roku devices (ChromeCast devices are not supported).
– eduroam provides a free, secure wireless network that is accessible at many universities, schools, and other research and educational institutions around the world. Vanderbilt users are automatically setup for eduroam when they onboard to vuNet and can access the internet from any institution that participates in the eduroam service.
- Vanderbilt users wanting to join eduroam on their mobile devices or personal computers who are already using vuNet should re-onboard by going to wifi.vanderbilt.edu and clicking "I HAVE A VUNETID."
- Vanderbilt users whose devices are not automatically connected to the eduroam wireless network should log in using VUnetID@vanderbilt.edu.
- Registered eduroam visitors can use eduroam while visiting Vanderbilt. Visitors experiencing issues connecting to eduroam should contact their home institution's help desk.
- vummiv - vummiv provides no security and will be retired in December 2019. Users should use vuNet when possible. Faculty, staff, and students should use vuDevices for their game consoles and other consumer devices that cannot use vuNet.
You will need internet access to join vuNet. If you have not joined vuNet in the past, follow these steps to do so:
- Join vuGuest from the available WiFi networks on your device.
- Navigate to any public website and follow the prompts. This will initiate the redirect process so you can use the internet.
- Once connected, navigate to
wifi.vanderbilt.edu to configure your device to access vuNet.
- Click on “I Have a VUnetID”
- Click on “Connect laptop, tablet, or smartphone"
- You should now be connected to vuNet. If not, contact the Vanderbilt IT Help Desk at (615) 343-9999.
NOTE: Special precautions must be taken with devices, such as routers and wireless printers, to not cause wireless interference and degrade the Vanderbilt wireless network. For more information regarding how to disable certain features to avoid this, visit this article.
Wireless Printers (Not Supported)
Need further assistance?
We have included general information in our help section to assist you in determining the best wireless network to use and how to configure your device for successful access. Please select the appropriate link from the Wireless Resources section to get help or If you have any problems, call the Vanderbilt IT Help Desk at (615) 343-9999 or (615) 343-HELP